The making of Art Nouveau Belle cosplay 

I am a huge fan of Hannah Alexander art work, eapecially her art nouveau art work. I’ve always wanted to bring one of her works to life. It’s a big challenge to undertake making a pattern, dying fabric and hand beading ,but I was up to the challenge. 

 I decided on tackling the Art Nouveau Belle! 
I bought 7 yards of poly blend satin and 7 yards of poly blend chiffon. I had two yards of yellow broadcloth already.  

 

Now to figure how to make the dress. I found a pattern that worked well and would just need a little modifying. 

I just had to modify the goudets, the insets between the seams that create a flowey almost mermaid like feel. Making them longer and wider to create a sillouet similar to the drawing.  Also I would need to make sleeves and add ruffles. 

  
I constructed the skirt and cut out the pieces of the top. The top consists  of 5 layers of fabric. Two layers of cotton broad cloth, with interfacing In between,  satin and chiffon. The bodice will be boned. The boning channels will be between the cotton fabrics. I constructed the cotton section fist and left the piece of chiffon and satin as pieces to be dyed. 

To dye the skirt, it is best to have the satin lining constructed and the chiffon top layer constructed. 

Now to dye the fabric. When using poly blend you have to use dye formulated to work for that. Rit dye more  Daffodil yellow  is the dye I used for the project, regular Rit will not work. Also when dying polyester blends you have to use the stove top method. With ombr√© you have to dye the fabric in section. The fabric you want darkest has to stay in the dye longer. The fabric you want lightest remove from the pot first.  I dumped everything in the pot after 10 minutes I pulled a section out. After another 15 minutes I pulled another chunck of a section. I left the remainder in to soak for another 15 Minutes. Repeat the same process for the chiffon.  Also don’t use the pot for cooking after. This pot should only be used for dying and not for food. 

   
  

 Be sure to follow the bottle instruction. 

Now that everything is dyed it’s time to sew everything together.  

I made the belt pattern that was going to be embellished with embroidered beaded lace. 

   

The sleeves I drafted a pattern myself and drafted the pattern for the ruffles on the bodice and the sleeves.    

    

    

I hand sewed the belt to the dress. Machine sewing it could possibly damage the beading and the chiffon. 

Now to work on the grommets. With cosplays I like to have stuff that laces up. I unfortunately  fluctuate in weight about 5 to 10 lbs so lacing is a must especially with cosplays that take such a long time and effort to create. 
    

It’s a painful process and I have a hand held grommet press so elbow grease is a must. 
Now to finish the beading. I bought these gold beads at Joann’s fabric. You have to hand sew them. Work in tiny sections so they don’t break apart easily. 

    

The jeweled Rose was hand sewn to the center. I was so lucky to have found this piece. 

  

For the top I divided the strands with two white pearl beads it added a nice touch.        

Now to do the beading on the hip. This was the biggest pain and the beads would break. Work in small sections and knot often. My cat was in charge of quality control and inspection lol 

    

The rhinestones on the godets were glued with E6000.       

For the head piece I used fake roses, leaves, a wide head band, and a few fake pearls. I cut the heads, laid the leaves on the head band, glued, and hot glued the Rose heads to the leaves. I added a few pearls to the leaves.   

   
 
Here is the dress completed. You can tell in the video how beautifully the ombre turned out.  

     

  

   

  
I hope this inspires you to create your own Art nouveau princess. Thanks for reading! 

Advertisements